Monday, March 27, 2006

Namesté

I was practically alone on the road today. I think I saw a total of 5 other bikes on the road -- three being ridden, two being trailored. One of the trailored bikes is a show bike built by a famous custom bike builder, Gary Woodford. It was the first bike Gary built for Discovery's "Southern Choppers." (If you're interested, see it at www.milwaukeeiron.com -- click on Photo Gallery; Bike Showcase; Lucas Oil - The Side Car Bike.)

Anyway. I put in 313 miles today from Hinton, OK, to Tucumacari, NM. It was much less windy today, so my ride through the Texas panhandle went well. Western Oklahoma blended into Texas without much of a change in scenery. But as I approached New Mexico the landscape changed: first a bit of rolling hills, then mesas. Beautiful land, although it is a bit depressing. As amazing and striking as it is, I'm so used to seeing trees, shrubs and grass that it's hard to not think that this semi-barren land is somehow wrong or incomplete. I hope I get a chance to hit some parks in NM on my way back east and take in more of the landscape. But for now I have to settle for the views from the highway.

Speaking of the weather: I got screwed (and not in a good way) and I'm probably going to end up stuck at a truck stop for a day. Yesterday the forecast for Texas called for showers tonight. The line on the map looked awful close to the NM border. My plan was to get into NM before the storms developed behind me. I was planning on camping tonight in Tucu. In the last half hour of my ride tonight the clouds steadily thickened to the point that I was sure I would be hitting rain. Screwed. I got in to Tucu and made a quick decision to use a bit more of my motel fund and skip the camping for another day. So I pay for the room, head upstairs, turn on the weather... no rain. More accurately, no rain reaching the ground. The air is so dry that the rain that was falling from the massive clouds evaporated before in reached Earth. Screwed. The new and improved forecast calls for rain tomorrow. It may or may not hold off until the afternoon, but the idgits on the box seem pretty sure it's gonna happen. Thus the truck stop. Screwed.

Finally for today, I wanted to talk about a phenomenon in the bike world. We wave to each other. Every bike that goes by. You can hold your hand straight out, point two fingers, hold it down at an angle, or do the Statue of Liberty. But everyone does it -- from a 50-year-old Harley guy with a full beard and Jack Daniels tank top to the 19-year-old in Tommy and Oakleys on a Ninja crotch-rocket. It's nice. (ATR, it's a lot like the dirt road phenomenon.) With the lack of people to wave to today, I was thinking about this wonderful tradition. It made me think of a word I learned from my former yoga instructor. "Namasté." It is an Indian (the Asian country, not native American) word that means something like "I see the divine in you." Or, "I see in you that which is pure and good." It's a sign of respect and/or love. It's similar to the Hawaiian word "aloha".

We all have issues. We all have faults, We all make mistakes. Each of us is different. Yet I recognize that which is good about you.

And so...
Namasté

11 Comments:

At 3/28/2006 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Screwed shmewed...You're out on the road and we're stuck in CoMo. Imagine taking in all of creation or sitting in a room boarded up with wood paneling from the '70s. Then, we'll talk. Enjoying your writing Walt!
Namasté

 
At 3/28/2006 7:14 AM, Blogger W. said...

Paneling shmaneling.

You're just mad because I've been chatting online with hot babes all day. Besides, we both know I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Peace.

 
At 3/28/2006 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now, you boys stop arguing. You're making it hard for me to test my new time machine I bought on the Internets.

 
At 3/28/2006 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously Walt, have you taken her off any sweet jumps??

P.S. Hurry back and get your crap out of my desk. I can't fit my numchucks in there anymore.

 
At 3/28/2006 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice bike, Lucky,
You are making some killer time for being on a bike. NM is kind of depresing. It is strange knowing that the ONLY piece of civilization around you is the very road you are on. Nothing else.

Clear skys and clear roads, my brother.

 
At 3/28/2006 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Careful of the dreaded 'truck stops'. We've all heard about what goes on there. Seen enough scary truckers on COPS. Anyone remember the trucker stopped by the police wearing womens clothes?
Enough said.
Hope the weather is on your side today.
xoxox... I know guys ewww.

 
At 3/28/2006 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry. Walter will just give them a round-house kick to the jewels and then use his nunchuck skills to put'em down. No woman truck driver dressed like a man or man cop dressed like a woman can thwart his wrath.

Good luck, Grasshopper.

 
At 3/28/2006 12:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this a trip blog or some kind of wack Napoleon Dynamite Never Never Land? I'm so confused. Though while I'm on that subject I'll add that my very favorite scene is when ND gets hit in the head with the steak thrown by Cousin Rico. I absolutely laughed out loud in the theater; I totally didn't see that coming. And one last thought: Do you know that the entire cast is Mormon, and they don't smoke or eat meat?

May your road be clear, your riding peaceful, and your writing bold!

Namaste.

Cherry blossoms

 
At 3/28/2006 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chickens have large talons in Detroit, MI

enjoy the Blogg - I am a virgin [of this blogg]...also a virginian [for now]...not a venetian [but I have been blind]...also a vegetarian [but I still eat beef, pork, and those birds with talons]...

two fingers-angled down to you

 
At 3/29/2006 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Howdy Walt! "Sweetie" hooked me up with your blog when I found out you were hittin the road for a few weeks. Sounds like an awesome time! If I were you, more so than truck stops, I'd watch out for those rest stops! (movie reference- Something about Mary). But I'd have to agree with cornbread.. being stuck at a truck stop in Texas for 1 night on a 4-week tour of western America is not exactly screwed. I must admit though that I'm lucky to have a window instead of that wonderful wood paneling, though. Happy Trails!

 
At 3/30/2006 2:33 PM, Blogger ATR said...

Thus far, I am quite impressed with your blog W. Just back from OK mahself--check the entry for details there (no scissor tails, no road runners). Maybe I'll get to it tonight. Hope your rainy days are behind you and the road is smoove from here on out.

To you, I say, in the words of Nappy Dizzle: "Lucky."

Namaste, indeed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home