Tuesday, March 28, 2006

303 and 304

I was incommunicado for the last few days, so this is a make-up post.

7.5 hours, 272 miles. Doesn't sound like that much, does it? I'd planned on 266 miles per day, so I'm still on track. I was pretty worried about getting caught in the rain -- thus the numerous rest stop/truck stop comments -- but it only sprinkled three times, for a few minutes at a time. Not even enough to get out the rain gear (thanks again, #4). Again the big problem was the wind: not as bad as Okla., but still enough to tire me out.

I pulled in to Gallop, NM, at 5 p.m. I pulled into the KOA with plenty of light left in the day to set up the tent for the first time (thanks again, porkchop). As I got off my bike I saw the KOA employee locking up the office door. She saw me coming and said "Oh, are you wanting to check in?" I saw that she was putting up a "back in 15 minutes" sign, and she seemed like she was in a hurry. So I said, "Yeah, but I can go get some gas and be back in 15 minutes if that's better for you." She said "Okay, I'll be back soon."

Long story short, (too late) an hour and twenty minutes later it was getting dark when she returned to open the office. I was less then pleased. By this time a line of RVs had formed and those folks were also not pleased. I asked the woman to give me a cabin for the cost of a tent site, since I no longer had time to unload my bike and put up a tent before dark. The woman decided to not exceed my expectations. She offered me $5 off the cabin price.

"Miss, if I wanted to spend $30 bucks I would have ridden for another hour tonight and stayed in a motel along the highway. I stopped here over an hour ago so I could set up my tent and save $15." She stared at me for a few seconds unsympathetically. I was having a real Meet-the-Parents-airplane-scene kind of moment, but I stopped short of being detained by the TSA. I was done riding for the day, and didn't see any cheap motels in the immediate area, so I gave in and took the cabin.

OK, in with the good air, out with the bad air.

The good news for the day is, without even trying, I added two birds to my life list. #303 was a Greater Roadrunner that was loitering outside the motel this morning while Nina and I were getting ready to go. #304 was a Common Raven in the high plains this afternoon. I just passed 300 earlier this month, when All Terrain Reda and I picked up three new species at Eagle Bluffs (American Golden-Plover, Sandhill Crane and Cinnamon Teal). My goal for this trip is to reach 330. It's pretty lofty, but definitely possible. The birding begins for real after this weekend's family activities wind down.

2 Comments:

At 3/30/2006 8:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That lady is not going to be in the circle of trust I am guessing. I just wonder what Mr. Norris would have done.

I would have to think that you will reach 330. Especially if you haven't been to that area of the country. I am sure that there are plenty of road runners types alone that will keep you busy.

Clear roads and blue skies.

 
At 3/30/2006 10:54 PM, Blogger ATR said...

Great news, brother. The wonder of birding--things just happen. A road runner in a motel parking lot in New Mexico, a black-billed magpie in a parking lot in Idaho--a great amount of serendipity goes down in parking lots. Congrats on 303 and 304. Don't get too far out infront of a brother.

Good birding and good riding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home