Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Descent

I slept in this morning as I had yesterday. The good time I made on days 2 and 3 really allowed me to take my time these last two days. I left Payson at 11:30 a.m. to head the rest of the way down the mountain to Phoenix -- a 2 hour ride. This was by far the best combination of scenery and riding conditions yet. The weather was perfect -- no wind! There weren't many places to pull off, so the picture posted here doesn't really do justice. I figured I would just enjoy the ride rather than worry about documenting it. (I may be able to get some better shots on the way back up the mountain with the fam.)

The mountains and valleys at times reminded me of the those in the northeast, though they seemed more dramatic. By that I mean every ridge, gully, peak and outcropping stands out boldly here, whereas in the northeast the complete blanket of greenery smoothes over all the fine details of the topography. In Pennsylvania, that drama is only apparent in the winter, when the trees lay down their guard and reveal the harsh reality of the weathered land they cling to for life.

The vegetation changed pretty quickly as I dropped in altitude. It seemed like I went from Ponderosa pines to saguaro cacti in a matter of minutes. (Remembering yesterday: the change was just as quick when climbing up the other side of the mountain range.) Then a half-hour of riding through the desert to Phoenix. Actually, to The Greater Phoenix Area. Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale, Glendale, et. al., adjoin Phoenix to make one uber-city. So my saying that my destination was Phoenix is true in the same way that Sweetie grew up in St. Louis even though she really grew up in Bellefountaine Neighbors. Or that Blossoms says she is from Delaware when she is really from the Greater New Jersey Area. (I was going to also make fun of Cornbread, but I can't think of any "Greater Area" that Monroe City would be a part of.)

TGPA seems like a pretty cool place. Mill Street near the ASU campus seems like the happening spot. Like South Street in Philly, 6th Street in Austin, 9th Street in CoMo (I know, I know... it's a stretch). I was told that all of Mill St. downtown is WiFi-ified, as is the entire ASU campus. (McDonald's even has WiFi.) There are lots of bars, shops, cafes, bookstores; you know... the whole college-town-main-drag situation. The place I tried is the Coffee Plantation. It's okay. The atmosphere is better than the selection.

Some of my family arrived in town this evening: my brother Ojo and his family Moe, Poe, and Goe; and my mom, Ruthless. Ojo and family went straight to see some other relatives, so we'll meet up with them sometime tomorrow. Ruthless and I got caught up over a beverage at the Sheraton lounge. Tomorrow the rest of the clan arrives. Tonight I rest.

7 Comments:

At 3/31/2006 6:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll help you out, Walt. I was actually between Hunnewell (pop. 227) and Clapper (pop. 8) so I guess you could say I was in the greater Monroe City metro area.

 
At 3/31/2006 6:40 AM, Blogger ATR said...

You seem to have lost some weight on your trip, my man. Oh, wait, that's a cactus...never mind.
Hey, I think I have people in Phoenix, but I've never met them. If you run into anyone named Valdez, tell them Cousin T says hello!
I'm glad all are arriving safely at their destination.

Peace.

 
At 3/31/2006 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm enjoying the blog W...
Someday I hope to ride your path to AZ but eww… in a car. My last bone throwing ceremony explained that AZ should be my next destination in my nomadic life – here’s hoping the bones know!!
I hope to enjoy the same path you’ve journeyed on this trip, taking us along in your sidecar and never asking once, “Are we there yet?”

FTW ~

 
At 3/31/2006 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what an adventure! I'm glad you made it safely and have some time to rest.

As you rest, you may also want to take some time to reflect on and recall your own east coast roots, since you grew up closer to NJ than I did! Ahem. I'm actually from a *Philly* suburb known as Delaware. One distinction from those from Jersey is that we accurately call beaches "beaches" rather than "the shore". We Delawareans also have a unique accent in our colorful pronunciation of words like Missouri ("mi-SOO-ree" or something like that). Oh yeah, and we can drive.

Enjoy the southwest, the time with family, the scenery, and the birding!

Cherry Blossoms

 
At 3/31/2006 2:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Blossoms, you are directionally, geographically (but not fashionally) challenged! Girl!

Osculator, what can I say other than lovin' it (and not like McKill You, either). Also, word on "Ruthless."

Nicknameless

 
At 3/31/2006 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walter:
Hello from your cousin. I'm not nearly as intellectual or clever as all of these other people leaving you comments, but I do love you, which is definitely something.
It's Friday night and I am thinking of you and all of you tonight as you get ready for tommorrow. I hope tommorrow is a wonderful day. I love you.
Jenny

 
At 3/31/2006 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damm, the Alpaca looks good riding pillion. Glad to here you made it safely. I had my own road trip today up to ChiTown. We were hitting 50+ MPH winds going across I55. Saw a few semis tipped off the road. Also saw a dude on a Ducati, just bearly holding it together. I could not imagine riding in that.

BTW, before I left this morning, Cornbread was cryin like a baby for ya. I swear he was breakin out the Bolten. I swear he was humming Time, Love, and Tenderness as I was leaving.

Your ride reminds me of reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Not just a ride but a learning experience.

Have fun with the family and have a joyous April Fools day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home