Monday, April 10, 2006

A Day for Traveling
or Leaving Silver City... Again

I like the optional headline -- Rocky and Bullwinkle style.

The nearest Yamaha dealer was an hour from Silver City, so we aimed southeast and hit the throttle. I tried leaving Silver City yesterday, but after I laid Nina down in the creek, I figured we best not travel any more for the day. (See yesterday’s post for all the 411.)

Silver Springs was really nice, and the KOA peops were friendly and bird-savvy. The Gila National Forest surrounds Silver Springs, so it’s a shame that I spent little time birding the area despite staying there for two nights.

Alright, let’s live in the now.

Dude at the bike shop totally hooked me up. He bent the foot peg back as far as he dared. It’s not perfect, but he didn’t want to break the peg off by bending it back any farther. It feels completely comfortable, and it should be fine for the ride back to CoMo.

With 301 miles to Carlsbad KOA and a few hours killed taking care of Nina, I didn’t do any active birding. I picked up two lifers anyway.

On my way over a 9,000-ft. mountain near Mayhill, NM, I saw two Steller’s Jays. They are pretty distinct looking, and I knew what they were immediately, but I pulled off the road and got a good look with the specs just for good measure.

Once I reached the campground I identified a Common Poor-will. It flew up in front of me as I walked to my tent. It was fairly dark, but the bird flew right past some street lights. I knew right away that it was a member of the goat-sucker family. As soon as I hit the tent I grabbed by field guide and found it.

Tomorrow I’ll be back in Texas -- farther south than I was on the way out west. There are still some “southern” species I might be able to find there. I’m afraid I’ve seen the last of the “western” species I’m going to see on this trip.

On a personal note: At this point I’m starting to tire. I find myself thinking more and more about being at home, snuggling with Sweetie and the kittens. Sleeping in my own bed. Eating something other than Subway’s turkey and ham on white.

My body, which had been holding up nicely for a man of my age, is starting to grow a bit weary. My arms and shoulders were aching for the last few hours of my ride today. I assume that’s a result of trying twice, and then actually lifting my bike. Also, my arse was a little sore at the end of the day. With plenty of riding in my immediate future, I’m afraid these aches are just going to get worse every afternoon until I’m home.

Right now these aches seem fairly minor -- a small price to pay for an amazing experience. I’m just nervous that these “minor” aches could turn into some miserable riding if they keep getting worse.

”This vacation has been accident free for: 001 days.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home