Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Good Birds,
Tough Day

Another balmy ride through southern Arizona. The plan was to spend a little time in Saguaro National Park, then head to a little town near the Madera Canyon. Saguaro isn't exactly known for its birds, but there are several desert species that I was hoping for. Madera is known for its birds. So the goal was to make it there before sunset, camp in the park, and be there for birding at first light.

Saguaro was better than planned. I added six birds to my life list. I missed the burrowing and elf owls, but still had a very pleasant day of birding.

So as I headed out of the Tucson area I still hoped to make it to the Madera area with enough light left to pitch a tent. Not so much. It was getting dark already by the time I got near the area, so I figured I would try for a cheap motel in the next town over. No luck -- no cheap motels and the Holiday Inn was booked. So I headed to the next town over. No motels at all. With no more towns between me and Madera I figured, screw it, I'll pitch a tent in the dark. On my way up the mountain I saw a sign: "Warning: High smuggling and illegal immigration area." So now I'm a little nervous. With no signs pointing the way to campgrounds, I rolled up one side of the mountain and down the other. An hour of winding dirt roads with 1000-foot drop offs. Not cool. So when I reached pavement again, I headed for the next town on the map. No motels (not even a gas station). Next town: one inn -- $125 night. But at least they had a gas station. Next thing you know I'm in Nogales, on the Mexican border, more than an hour away from Madera.

I got a room at a cheap motel, and headed out for some fast-food delicacy. I was on a road that seemed to be the main strip in Nogales. As I was looking down side streets for a Subway, I suddenly realized I was now in a line of cars waiting to leave the country. Not Cool. All I can think about is the customs folks making me unpack my entire bike while I explain that I had left my registration and proof of insurance in Missouri. Plus, I'm regularly the guy who gets "randomly" chosen to be searched at airports. So I pretty much know I'm about to get an anal probe (and not in a good way).

There is one spot to U-turn before Mehiho, so me and Nina got the hell out of there and called it a day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home