Saturday, April 08, 2006

30 is Down for the Count
This post is rated PG-13 for language and violent content.

I kicked 30's ass -- Chuck Norris-style. I seriously pounded 30 into submission. I gave it two quick rights -- pop, pop -- then ducked it's weak attempt at a right hook, and put it away with the left. I stood over it and said "Come on. Get up, punk. You wanna go? Oh, you think you're so big. You ain't shit!" (Apparently I am in need of some human interaction, since I am describing in detail my fight with, and subsequent taunting of, a concept.)

30 was the goal I set for myself before my trip. I was hoping to see 30 new species. I was originally thinking 50, but I didn't want to set a goal so high that I would never reach it.

Well the early numbers are in: I hit 30 last night at my campsite when I identified a Yellow-eyed Junco. After seeing nine more lifers on the trails this morning, I reached 40 this afternoon when I noticed a Curve-billed Thrasher was watching me pack up my tent. As I leave Arizona tomorrow and start to head back east, the numbers of new species I see should drop off, but at this point I think 50 is within reach. (With any luck, I'll have to adjust my goal again before this trip is over!)

Today rocked, by the way. Coronado National Forest is as beautiful from the trail as it was from the road. One of the last birds I saw before heading out was a very appropriate one -- the Arizona Woodpecker. As the name indicates, you won't find it anywhere else in this country. I thought I missed my best chance to see it when I made the decision to skip Madera Canyon, so I was very happy to get great looks at two 'Zonas on the South Fork trail.

Now it's time to plan out a strategy for New Mexico, and Texas. There's still plenty of species out there, so watch out 50. I'm coming for ya.

P.P. This is yet another make-up post. I'm trying to write every day, then post each separate day when I get the chance. So when you see a new post, there may be a few more new ones under it. For example, yesterday's post, below this one, was just put online minutes ago. Thank you. That is all.

4 Comments:

At 4/12/2006 3:27 AM, Blogger ATR said...

I am Jack's raging bird list....

 
At 4/12/2006 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Something about that comment is $3-worthy, ATR!

Thoughtful and colorful commentary on life, birding, and travel in new places. Wow!

 
At 4/13/2006 8:21 AM, Blogger Nichole said...

It's been very tough reading your blog from Minion Headquarters. But it looks like you're having a heck of a vacation! And you've got "Unknown Legend" running through my head now:

"Somewhere on a desert highway
She rides a Harley-Davidson
Her long blonde hair flyin' in the wind
She's been runnin' half her life
The chrome and steel she rides
Collidin' with the very air she breathes
The air she breathes."

Just like you! Except for the Harley and the hair. And the femaleness.

 
At 4/13/2006 8:44 PM, Blogger W. said...

First rule of birding is: We don't talk about birding.
The second rule of birding is: We don't talk about birding.
There's an awful lot of people out here, so some of you have been breaking the first two rules.

Junge Frau (German is the closest I could come to Dannish without opening another browser window, and that's just way too much work for a nickname): I haven't busted out Harvest Moon in a long time. That guy's no Melville, but he sure can write some lyrics.

Blossoms: I know, I know -- he did say "raging bird", but get your mind out of the gutter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home