Sunday, April 16, 2006

There's No Place Like CoMo

Nina and I pulled into the driveway at 4:30 p.m. Friday. The journey is officially over.

This has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. I know it will take some time for me to see this trip with some perspective -- to see how it affected me. But even without the clarity that distance provides, I am sure that I have gained much from this.

I'm struggling for a way to sum it up in a few paragraphs. The multitude of experiences, the variety of emotions, the highs and lows -- where do I start?

The stress of the ride out west: Being nervous about my first big ride, then immediately facing 60 mph wind gusts. Spending money on motels needlessly based on sketchy weather reports.
The experiences with my family: From the highs of enjoying their company -- sharing s'mores and laughter, to the pain of leaving family members behind on the trail, to the relief of being together to honor my brother.
Two weeks touring on my own: The joy of pursuing a goal (and having some success at it). The pride in accomplishing something under trying circumstances. The sadness of not being able to share the good times with friends and loved ones. The depression of being alone during the difficult times.

I can't scratch the surface (and yet I keep trying).

Despite the lows, I feel very lucky to have had this experience. Even when I was down, I was thinking of the positive ways that this experience is affecting me. The cathartic moment I had while sitting in the creek is sort of a microcosm of the entire trip: Something difficult that I was able to come through and learn from. A reminder to take my time, to not take things for granted, to enjoy the moment.

Thank you again to everyone who helped me out on this journey: My family for love, support, hotel rooms, food and cash. My friends for love, support, and hiking/camping/riding gear. The parks peops and the KOA folks, the random birders who pointed me in the right direction, the bikers who waved, the guy who bent Nina's foot peg back. And of course, to my Sweetie, for being everything I need.

2 Comments:

At 4/17/2006 10:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've finally caught up reading your latest blog entries and am very moved by what you have shared throughout your trip. Now that you're home safe (I am glad for that and also that you were wearing protective leather gear during the trip), I'll share that a few days into your trip I had an upsetting dream in which you slid on your bike and went down; somehow you were fine though shaken.

I hope the rest of home is rejuvenating and the perspective that grows with time adds even more to this incredible, life-changing experience!

 
At 4/24/2006 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had no dream about your trip. But I also posted nothing while I read. I "lurked," as they say. And now I'm a week behind because I'm in the process of moving.

I enjoyed your post about how you accidentally happened upon the Paton's House. Those serendipitous things never happen to me, so I can only imagine how it felt, but I'm glad it happened for you (and all my other friends, dammit) all the same.

I would highly recommend a trip from Denver to Utah and up to Montana. The Rocky Mt passes are astounding and in general the vistas are truly humbling. It was the part of tour where I wished I was on a motorcycle instead of in a van.

(I'd also recommend the Shoshone pass in WY, though it's a little out of the way.)

Glad you didn't go tumbling into a river. Hopefully I'll see you sometime in the near future!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home